If you are wanting to teach your kids how to code and program, one of the biggest challenges is finding the right resources for kids where they are at today. Whether you are needing to find resources by age or where they are at in school, this guide will provide you the best tips and resources gathered to ensure that you can customize their learning to their cognitive abilities.
Sifting through available coding and programming resources can take a lot of time when all you are trying to do is match the course by age or where they are at in school. Often, YouTube videos that are free online may miss the fundamentals and head straight into creating a program. While other structured learning programs may go too deep into the fundamentals teaching about computer science, when all they really need is to understand the high level vocabulary needed to start their learning journey.
The goal below is to provide links and insights by age and course so that your kids can quickly learn how to code.
Considerations of Teaching Coding
Before you begin teaching your kids how to code, check out some of these posts on the advantages and disadvantages of teaching kids at an early age computer science.
- 11 Reasons to Teach Kids How to Code
- Why to Not Teach Kids Coding (Disadvantages)
- Overall Guide to Teach Coding to Kids
- Best Way to Teach Coding to Kids
- How to Make Learning and Programming Fun for Kids
- Teach Kids How to Learn Coding without a Computer
- Best Resources to Learn Coding Online for Kids
- Easy Guide to Explain Algorithms to Kids
- Empowering Girls in STEM
- STEM Coding Projects for Kindergarteners
- Fun and Interactive Ways to Teach Kids Coding
- Show and Tell Ideas for Kids with Computer Programming and Coding
More Inspiration for Teaching Kids How to Code by Age
The following links provide guides on how to teach coding to kids by the age that they are in. Check out the posts for more information.
- How to Teach Coding to Preschool Age Kids
- How to Teach Coding to 4 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 5 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 6 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 7 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 8 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 9 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 10 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 11 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 12 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 13 Year Olds
- How to Teach Coding to 14 Year Olds
More Inspiration for Kids Coding Toys by Age
If you are wanting to discover more toys and learning platforms to educate kids on coding and programming to inspire them, check out these posts dedicated by age.
- Coding Toys for Preschool Age Kids
- Coding Toys for 4 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 5 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 6 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 7 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 8 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 9 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 10 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 11 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 12 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 13 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 14 Year Olds
More Inspiration on Coding Platforms for Kids
These are some of the best platforms we've found that can help foster kids ability to code. These platforms have been built to support kids as well as allow them to grow and scale their learning journey in computer science and programming.
- Best Platforms to Teach Kids Coding
- Big Tech Platforms that Teach Kids Coding and Programming
- Learn All About Git and GitHub for Kids
- Jupyter Notebooks for Kids
- Coding Platforms for Kids to Learn Computer Programming
More Inspiration on Coding Languages for Kids
- Why There Are So Many Programming Languages
- HTML for Kids Beginner Guide Overview
- CSS for Kids Beginner Guide Overview
- Block Coding for Kids
- iOS Programming with Swift for Kids
- Top Tips for iOS Programming with Swift for Kids
- Block vs Text Based Coding for Kids
- Tynker Coding for Kids Overview
Related Coding Topic Areas
Coding, Robotics, and 3D Printer Gift Guide for Kids
This is the best gift guide for kids who love technology and gadgets.
- Best Toys to Teach Kids Coding
- ToyBox 3D Printer
- Computer Keyboards Made Specifically for Kids
- Best Monthly Coding Subscription Boxes for Kids
- Best Fiction Books About Robots for Young Kids
- Gift Guide for Teens Who Love Coding and Programming
- Gift Guide for Middle School Kids Who Love Computer Science
- Tinker Crate - Is it worth it?
Typing and Computer Keyboards
I hope this provided you guidance on where to start if you are trying to teach your students how to code. I know as a parent and educator, it can be hard to find the right resources when you might be trying to learn coding yourself.