Ten year old kids can start learning how to code using some amazing toys and easy to use gamified platforms that will allow them to learn new programming skills.
For an average American, 10 years old kid are usually in the 5th grade. At this age and grade, children's brains begin to expand at a rapid rate. Your child may seem to grow up before your eyes, gaining academic progress and valuable life skills such as critical thinking, problem solving and others that can benefit them in the future.
At 10 years old, your kid might probably have a dream for himself – either becoming a doctor, engineer, teacher or a software programmer (a career that has been very in demand these days). If he or she is fascinated with the latter, learning coding will be very essential for him or her.
Your 10 year old kid might probably have some basics of how to code and program in school. However, learning coding is not limited only in school, you can also let your kid enjoy it at the comfort of your home, or even with you!
Easy Coding Languages for 10 Year Olds to Learn
There are some incredible platforms that make it easy to learn programming and coding for kids. Since there are a ton of coding languages, it might be hard to choose the best language for your kids to learn. Syntaxes can change from one coding language to another, but understand the basics of the structure will be key to teaching them how to code.
Below, I have listed some of the most popular and age-appropriate coding language your kid can start to learn.
Scratch is a visual programming language with colorful blocks and drag-and-drop interface and it is one of the easiest programming languages to learn. It is designed with kids in mind, with the primary goal of exposing them to the fundamentals of computer programming at a young age.
Scratch is best suited for children ages 8 and up, so it is definitely a must to try learning for a 10 year old. If you are looking for a even simpler and more accessible interface, Scratch also has another platform - ScratchJr, which is best suited for children aged 5-7.
Python is an excellent choice for teaching a 10-year-old how to code. Because of its short and human-friendly syntax, Python differs from most other programming languages. It is the best programming language for novices since it mimics the human language better than any other programming language.
Among Python's many advantages is that it is easy to use and does not cost a fortune for parents. Python also has a huge community, which you or your kid can ask for help in starting to learn this programming language.
If you are looking for a programming language that is practical, learning C++ for your 10 year old will be perfect. However, kid may be put off by this programming language's resemblance to mathematics. But still, C++ is best to learn for kids as can open a range of new horizons for programmers who master the fundamentals.
There are several advantages to coding toys for kids - they allow children to learn by doing and hands-on learning is widely accepted as an effective educational way to grasp new concepts. Having it become a gamified learning experience doesn't hurt either.
Squishy Circuits Kit Electric Circuit
Ages: 8 years old to 12 years old
Play Doh’s are a popular and a fun toy that your kids usually had when they were younger. And at 10 years old, they can still enjoy it while learning how to code. How cool is that, right?
In keeping with the brand's name, Squishy Circuits teaches kids about electronics while allowing them to play around with play-doh. When children use play-doh to construct creatures, they use a simple circuit to light them up, allowing them to learn about circuits in an enjoyable and creative manner. LED lights, a motor, buzzers, and more make your inventions come to life as your 10 year old play with this electric science kit.
If you are worrying about the safety of kit, there is no need to. Squishy Circuits designed this toy with safety in mind. They are safe to use and have short circuit protection built in. In fact, more than thousands of Squishy Circuits electricity kits have been used in homes, schools and maker spaces around the world.
- STEM/ STEAM Learning Tool: Our electronic circuit kit for kids uses conductive and insulating modeling dough to teach the basics of electric circuits in a fun, hands-on way. This electric science kit lets your creations come to life as you light them up with LED lights, make noises with buzzers, & more.
- Limitless Possibilities: This kids electronics kit has tons of example projects in the box, online, with our mobile app, or invent your own dough creations! With these school supplies your children will beep robots, light-up dinosaurs, or colorful caterpillars - if you can mold it, you can make it light up, beep & more!
- What Inclusive Kit - This electric circuit kit comes with a battery holder, motor with fan, switch, piezoelectric (beeping) buzzer, mechanical (buzzing) buzzer, 40 LEDs, 7 tubs of colored conductive dough, and 1 tub of white insulating dough. Recipes to make more homemade dough are provided or you can purchase the Dough Kit as an add-on item.
Ages: 8 years old and Up
Basically, Sphero BOLT is a robotic ball that can be controlled via an app. With the Sphero Edu app, you can access a comprehensive library of guided engineering and math-based courses, exercises, and programs, all of which are tailored to different ability levels and subject areas. And if you are confused on how to help your 10 year old how to start, Sphero put up a collection of getting started exercises that will guide you and them through the fundamentals of programming and making using BOLT.
- MORE THAN JUST A ROBOT: Sphero BOLT is a programmable robot ball that you can drive and code, providing endless opportunities to be creative and have fun while learning. Advanced yet approachable, you can learn programming, complete hands-on activities, and share your creations with the community. With BOLT, STEAM learning can be easily facilitated at home and guided by parents. Download the BOLT At-Home Learning Guide under product guides and documents.
- ADVANCED SENSORS & LED MATRIX: Packed with plenty of programmable sensors including a compass, light sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, motor encoders, and infrared communications, along with an eye-catching and animated LED matrix, Sphero BOLT is paving the way for the next generation of coders.
ClicBot Coding Robot
Ages: 8 years old and Up
Find yourself falling in love with a joyful and intelligent robot that teaches your child to code. Clicbot can be your new addition your family as this robot will surely delight the whole gang with his more than 200 reactions.
The use of several sensors and actuators allows Clicbot to perform nearly any function. What is more interesting that you create real-life versions of well-known characters like as Jedi, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, and even Mickey Mouse.
No products found.
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ages: 10 years old to 15 years old
Ev3Storm, Track3R, Gripper, R3Ptar and Spik3R – you will meet them all with Lego Mindstorms EV3 as this coding you lets you create 5 different robot in a set. They can design the robot with the free EV3 Programmer App on their tablet. Afterwards, kids may program their favorite robots to perform anything they can imagine by dragging and dropping them into the interface's intuitive drag-and-drop functionality.
The EV3 Software on your PC or Mac can be used to configure complex features, or you can use the free Robot Commander app on your smart device or the infrared remote control supplied with each set to take immediate control.
Overall, every age group will enjoy constructing and programming their fully-functional robot, which will walk and talk as well as play games and carry out other jobs. This instructional STEM robot toy makes engineering enjoyable for everyone who participates in its development.
- Builders of all ages will love building and coding their fully-functional robot to walk, talk, and even play games or complete tasks! This educational STEM robot toy makes engineering fun for everyone who builds it.
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 is built with 601 pieces and includes the intelligent EV3 Brick, 3 servo motors, plus color, touch and IR sensors. Connect with your smart device and download the free EV3 programmer app to control the robot!
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 comes with instructions for 17 different robotic designs, each with its own unique features. Builders can program their STEM robots to talk, walk, grab, shoot targets and more! Kids will love this creative and educational toy!
Artie Max Drawing Robot
Ages: 7 years old and Up
In this program, where coding meets creativity, you will learn to code line by line with Artie Max. Your 10 years old will also find Artie easy to use as there are built-in lessons and supplied simple guide so your kids can begin dragging and dropping code for Artie to sketch in minutes.
- Sold as 1 Each.
- Level up STEM skills through creativity with Artie Max, the coding, drawing robot that helps kids building coding confidence through artist creation!. No internet connection needed! Simply connect your WiFi-enabled tablet or computer to Artie’s password protected WiFi. Artie NEVER connects to the internet..
Kano Star Wars Coding Kit
Ages: 6 years old and Up
How much of a fan are you of the Star Wars franchise? If so, you can influence your kid with your fascination as Kano has created a Star Wars Kit that is sure to please.
This Star Wars Coding Kit will let your 10 year old become a coder, a creator, and participate in Star Wars Kano World community. To learn to code, complete challenges that take you step by step through each step of the process.
To use this coding kit, take the components out of the box by opening it up. As instructed, follow to the book by connecting the board, button, and bits as detailed. Play around with sensors and discover how they function.
- Build a sensor – detect 3D hand motions. Four powerful light beams. Learn how it works as you build. Tablet not included.
- Play with force powers – Swing light sabers, force push Stormtroopers, pilot X-wings.
- Make your own stories – make BB-8 fly, fill the Falcon with Porgs, levitate baby Yoda. Hundreds of characters, weapons, starships, and planets.
Best Selling Coding Learning Sets for Ten Year Olds
Here is another list of some of the best selling 10 year old learning programs for kids that you might also check out.
- DEVICE COMPATIBILITY: iOS - iPad 5th gen & above, iPad Air - all models, iPad Pro - all models, iPad Mini 2 & above, iPhone 6 & above | Android - tablets and smartphones with 3GB RAM and above | Amazon Fire - Devices are currently not supported.
- Unlike many coding kits, Tacto Coding focuses on a LOT MORE than just direction-based coding. It incorporates the fundamental concepts of coding – inputs-output, loops, sequencing, decomposition, and branching. But, with engaging and age-specific storytelling!
- Improve Skills : Our 4-in-1 cube light-up games help improve brain skills, hand-eye coordination, and reaction time. It's perfect for home or travel. Requires 3x AAA batteries (not included).
- Challenging Speed Games : Chase and Catch Me games let you race and react with your fingers. Press the blinking red lights while avoiding green lights and grabbing some “bonus” blue lights!
- Test Your Memory Games : Follow and Remember Me games test your memory with flashing light sequences for you to memorize and repeat. Just the right amount of challenge for most people.
- KLEV, LOPR (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 110 Pages - 11/30/2022 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- ✓ ROBLOX CODING in LUA COURSE: You have purchased the roblox toys, done the whole surpise birthday party supplies favors for your boys or girls and now it's time to give the gift that 100% matters of fun education! Child will learn Lua coding inside Roblox Studios to create their own worlds and a multiple level obstacle course.
- ✓ LIVE MENTOR SUPPORT: No need for that roblox book or card of instructions. Put away the legos, action figures, and your plush, because this online course allows you to chat directly with a real human mentor. Unlike other online coding programs for kids that offer you a how-to sheet, we offer live chat assistance.
- ✓ SCHOOL, HOMESCHOOL APPROVED CURRICULUM and STEM EDUCATION CERTIFIED: Simply Coding courses have been approved by school systems throughout the world, both as an elective and as an after school program. Including receiving high school credit for course completion. Work in real Roblox Studio IDE with this series of over 35 hours of course content.
- SO MANY TOYS IN A SNAP: A safe and fun way to introduce children ages 8+ to the basics of electrical engineering while having fun! Build exciting projects and toys using the included colorful instruction book!
- LEARN TO CODE: Download the Snap Circuits App and control your project to operate lights, sounds, and a motor! Contains over 30 Snap Circuits parts, including the new SC Controller! Great introduction to coding!
- GREAT GIFT: Give the gift of learning and fun! Snap Circuit kits will keep kids busy and having fun all year round. Combine with other Snap Circuits kits for even more projects!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Brady, Dustin (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- MASSIVE SCIENCE KIT FOR CURIOUS KIDS - More than 15 experiment activities including dueling water tornadoes, building an erupting volcano, growing a crystal, two geologic dig kits, and more
- ENOUGH TO GO AROUND - This science lab allows kids to conduct multiple experiments and is great to share with family, friends, or classmates; you will enjoy the magic of discovery together
- THE SECRET IS THE SCIENCE - A detailed learning guide teaches the science at work in the experiments, allowing your child to develop a deep, lasting appreciation for a variety of Earth sciences
- Moore, Jordan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 132 Pages - 11/30/2022 (Publication Date) - Red Panda Press (Publisher)
- Includes a LEGO Motorized Hub, additional Motor and a Color & Distance Sensor that can be built and rebuilt into 5 multifunctional models.Code Vernie to dance, shoot the target, beatbox, use his hockey stick or even play a game.
- Build the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) and try out the different tool and customization attachments to train your rover for missions & battling other rovers.
- Learn how to play a song and rock out with the Guitar4000.
- Race for victory across the colorful world of YouTube sensation, Ryan
- Challenge yourself in Career mode or race with friends in split-screen play
- Simple racing controls, auto-acceleration, auto-steering and tutorial mean everyone can play
Ten-year-olds in the United States are typically in the 5th grade. Beginners and specialists might benefit from learning one of the many different coding languages accessible, such as Scratch, Python or C++. With the use of coding toys, your 10 year old kid can start learning these advance programming languages that may help them start their career in coding or be advance in coding education in schools.
I hope that the list of some of the most popular and age-appropriate coding languages for 10-year-olds helps you pick what is best for your child.
More Inspiration for 10 Year Old Kids Learning to Code
Looking to be inspired? Here are some other posts related to teaching ten year olds how to code.