If your child is at age 5, they are probably enrolled and attending kindergarten. At that grade level and age, they should be learning fundamental ideas in reading, writing, and mathematics and developing their motor abilities through hands-on activities. But did you know that most 5 years old have an advanced mind and can also learn basic coding?
Maybe you think that learning how to code seems too complex for your 5 years old. But with the use of various learning materials in coding, children as young as 5 years old can start to learn.
One of the best ways to help your 5 years old to start learning how to code is the use of coding toys. And in this blog, I will be sharing with you some of the best coding toys that will definitely help your kid (and even you!) to learn the basics of computer programming.
Teaching 5 Year Olds How to Code
These days, computer sciences classes are now implemented in elementary, middle school, and a high school students. But if you are eager for your kid to start learning how to code, here are a few simple things you can do right now to help your child develop computer programming skills.
One of the best ways for parents to ask us how they can help their children learn coding is by using online resources. Some of the best applications and sites that you can explore and use are Code.Org and the use of Scratch. Both of these sites are best to use for children of all ages.
Code.Org is a website appropriate for students of all ages, from pre-readers to college-bound teenagers. Register a free account for you and your child, and you can have access to online tutorials. You will also learn other information on where to learn to code, activities for engaging with code, networking possibilities, and other resources.
While Scratch has a version for 5 to 7 years old kids called Scratch Jr. Using this website, 5-year-old can create their own interactive stories and activities. Children learn to solve issues, design projects, and express themselves artistically on the computer due to the experience.
Did you know that when a hand is busy, your 5 years old brain is also active? This is why many people recommend learning (especially pre-schoolers) using hands-on play.
Toys, such as coding toys, encourage hands-on play for your 5 years old. Using coding toys, they will learn by learning, so they are better able to multitask because they are actively listening, speaking, and utilizing their senses to investigate their surroundings. Coding toys can help 5 years old to encourage and develop problem-solving strategies.
Learning to program computers can help your kid improve problem-solving abilities, as well as your creative, logical thinking, and technical knowledge. With the help of the following list of Coding Toys below, your child can start learning as early as 5 years old.
Thames & Kosmos Kids First Coding & Robotics
Ages: 4 years old and Up
Don't want your kids to learn coding using tablets, smartphones, or a computer application or program? No worries, Sammy has your back! Children in grades K-2 can learn coding ideas and abilities screen-free using Sammy – the adorable peanut butter and jelly sandwich robot.
Physical code cards are laid up in a sequential order to generate a computer program. If you like, you can use Sammy to play music or light up its LED and engage its output gear. You can also use Sammy to accomplish coding problems and master programming fundamentals.
Using this cute coding toy, it is also possible to build various models and program robots to tell stories. This toy includes six storylines, such as a penguin having fun in the park with his pals or a soccer player moving the ball into the goal.
- Early STEM learning: an introduction to the fundamentals of coding and robotics for grades K-2.
- Unplugged: no software, apps, or smart devices required!
- Clear explanations: the 64-page, full-color experiment manual guides kids through the coding lessons and model building exercises.
intelino J-1 Smart Train Starter Set
Ages: 3 years old and Up
Who would not love trains? This train set from Intelino will be a definite coding toy to enjoy for your 5 year old, or even the train fans (children, as well as adults!). What's more enjoyable with this coding toy is that it will not only let your 5 years old help learn coding toys through hands-on play, it can also be used on app-connected play modes.
This beginner set includes One J-1 smart engine, one J-1 wagon, 20 tracks with 40 color snaps, a train decal sheet, and a USB charging cable. At the same time, the app is compatible with IOS and Android users, which includes all-in-one autopilot and manual driving software that provides for mixed-reality games and a Command Editor for creating custom commands.
However, please note that universal track adapters are not included in the set. They are sold separately, but the good news is that traditional wooden train systems like BRIO, IKEA, Thomas & Friends, and others are all compatible with the Smart Train.
- PLAY SMARTER WITH INTELINO. Award-winning smart train system. Intuitive and fun. Interactive and intelligent. Powered by innovative robotic tech.
- INTERACTIVE PLAY & LEARNING. Screen-free and app-enabled modes, games and activities for creative play and learning. Comprehensive K-12 STEM learning system and lesson plans for school and home. Designed for different skillsets and age groups.
- 4 CODE MODES: 1) Screen-free tactile coding with colored tiles, 2) App-based command editor, 3) Block-based programming using Scratch, 4) multi-train interactive programming in Python.
LEGO Duplo Coding Express Learning
Ages: 2 years old to 5 years old
LEGO is one of the most popular toys for kids and adults. A lego is wonderful and beneficial because it allows kids to build anything they can imagine, disassemble it, and build something else.
But this Lego Duplo Coding Express Toy is not only bricks or blocks for a hands-on introduction to coding; it also has free software that blends digital play with physical activity. The express train's behavior is affected by the action bricks' behavior, which varies according to the topic of the activity. A variety of early childhood development skills will be practiced in the open-ended exercises.
However, keep in mind that it is a massive set, and it would take time to unpack all of the bags for the blocks. It will also consume an enormous area in your room, so if you don't want to deal with the inconvenience of dismantling the set regularly, you will need a more prominent place for this set.
- Set includes 234 LEGO DUPLO bricks for a hands-on introduction to steam
- Free optional app combines physical play with digital Intervention
- Coding express teacher guide with 8 steam online lessons: 4 lessons use the physical set and 4 lessons use the digital app.
Matatalab Coding Robot
Ages: 4 years old and Up
Do you want your 5 years old take a break from the computer and help keep your kids' eyes safer? If so, this screen-free coding robot toy by Matatalab will be ideal! This hands-on coding toy teaches the introduction through abstract programming concepts so that beginners don't realize how much they are learning while having fun with it!
Using this toy, kids learn how to move the toy in different directions and make decisions about what controls to use. It also helps them learn about loops. When they play with it, they might think it is a new game and not the same one repeatedly, which would be very interesting to them and help them think outside the box.
The robot itself is also adorable, has a lot of funny sounds and voices, and has a lot of good songs and melodies. Add-ons are also available, but they are a little pricey. If you want to help your child become an engineer or scientist, it might be worth the money.
- 🏆IDEAL CODING STATER KIT: Matatalab coding set is the best choice for young kids ages 3-9 to learn code from zero. By playing with physical blocks, the basic coding concepts are easier for kids to understand and remember, such as sequencing, conditionals, and debugging. A more friendly way to learn fundamental coding concepts at a very early age.
- ❤️STEAM SKILLS LEARNED: A physical way to learn abstract coding ideas. Kids can develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, basics of programming, Logic, and collaboration with your kids through hands-on play.
- 🤖SCREEN-FREE and WORDS-FREE: This screen-free, app-free, and internet-free coding robot set eliminates any potential harm to kids' eyes and enhances practical learning. Matatalab's intuitive tangible coding blocks make programming commands including movement, loop, and number symbolized, making it easier for kids to understand logic and develop creativity.
ThinkFun Robot Turtles
Ages: 3 years old to 8 years old
If you are looking for a coding toy that you can enjoy with your 5 years old, Playing Robot Turtles with your kids is a great way to spend quality time together as a family. This toy can be played by multiple players and is very quick to learn with the clear instruction manual so you and your kids can start playing after your purchase.
The main characters of this simple board game are cute, robotic turtles, offering a low-tech alternative to learning how to code. You begin by placing a jewel tile in one corner of the board and a turtle tile in the other corner of the board. Using directional code cards and logical reasoning, you must guide your turtle to the jewel.
- Trusted by Families Worldwide - With over 50 million sold, ThinkFun is the world's leader in brain and logic games.
- Develops critical skills – Gameplay provides a stealth learning experience, where players learn key programming princples in a fun, easy to learn way. Inspired by the Logo programming language, Robot Turtles lets kids ages 4 and up write programs with playing cards.
- What you get - Robot Turtles is one of ThinkFun's best games for kids ages 4 and up. It was designed by programming expert Dan Shapiro and was the most-backed board game in Kickstarter history when first released. For 2-5 players, includes What you get cardboard and cardstock components.
Best Selling Coding & Programming Toys for 5 Year Old Kids
Here are some of the best coding and programming toys kids that are six year old love to learn programming with.
- EARLY STEM SKILLS: Botley helps your child learn early STEM skills while playing and having fun. He teaches kids to code with active, screen-free play that's perfect for promoting critical thinking and problem solving skills
- READY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX: Botley is ready to code right out of the box! Have 5 AAA batteries and a Phillips screwdriver nearby and this coding robot will have your kid coding in minutes with code games, creativity and fun (3 AAA batteries for Botley and 2 AAA for the remote programmer, not included)
- SCREEN-FREE: Botley features completely screen-free coding: no phone or tablet required. Botley's easy-to-use remote programmer sends commands and gets him rolling. Coding for kids has never been easier
- DEVELOPS: Critical Thinking, Coding Skills and Problem Solving
- CODING FUNDAMENTALS: As kids learn to program they build key skills that include critical thinking, problem solving, sequencing, and programming fundamentals
- ROBOT MOUSE: Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features 2 speeds along with colorful buttons to match coding cards for easy programming and sequencing. Requires 3 AAA batteries (not included).
- Coding Toys for Kids: Code right out of the box with the next generation of our Toy of the Year winning coding robot!
- Discover Coding for Kids: 16 fun interactions—transform Botley 2.0 into a train, police car, ghost, and more!
- Expanded Coding Styles: Features expanded coding styles—code through music, lights, and movements!
- Cultivate Children’s Comprehensive Abilities: Building a route in the bottom plate using different pieces to create a path, linking the path from start to finish, wind up the car and watch it smoothly transport the marble ball to the end. This puzzle is ideal for enhancing children's logical thinking, focus, observation, color recognition, and understanding of cause and effect. It's the best puzzle for kids aged 3-5
- Interactive Toy: This Montessori toy has the perfect design, with 120 exciting challenges for fun and learning. It features 4 different difficulty levels suitable for children of different ages. Play this puzzle with your child to enjoy family time and enhance your parent-child relationship. The 120 question cards are printed in the instruction manual
- Good Quality and Product Matching: The STEM toys for 3+ year old boys and girls are made of BPA-free premium materials with non-toxic water-based paint, ensuring safety for kids. They are easy to install and do not require batteries. These games for kids ages 4-8 come with 6 cross tracks, 6 curved tracks, 4 arc tracks, 4 bottom plates, 1 pull-back bulldozer, 3 marble balls, 1 initial point, 1 end base, and 1 tree. Recommended age: 3 to 7 yr old
- DISCOVER the magic of preschool coding with Skye the Unicorn and her screen-free coding spellbook!
- CAST 12 preschool coding spells that make Skye light up, dance, chase her ball, and more!
- CODE your way through storybook adventures—stop the sprinkle swirl, pick up fallen stars, and more!
- Toy of the Year 2022 Finalist - Vehicle Toy of Year! .Ideal for ages:4 years and up
- Preschool Coding Rescue Challenges!: Kids as young as 4 build screen-free STEM and coding skills when they solve these coding rescue challenges!
- Transform, Code, and Save the Day!: Draw a coding rescue challenge card, snap on one of three vehicle shells (police car, fire truck, or construction vehicle), and code to solve the mission! Powered by AAA batteries ( not included)
- Improve Skills : Our 4-in-1 cube light-up games help improve brain skills, hand-eye coordination, and reaction time. It's perfect for home or travel. Requires 3x AAA batteries (not included).
- Challenging Speed Games : Chase and Catch Me games let you race and react with your fingers. Press the blinking red lights while avoiding green lights and grabbing some “bonus” blue lights!
- Test Your Memory Games : Follow and Remember Me games test your memory with flashing light sequences for you to memorize and repeat. Just the right amount of challenge for most people.
- Moore, Jordan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 132 Pages - 11/30/2022 (Publication Date) - Red Panda Press (Publisher)
- Over 50+ coding games for kids with 1000+ interesting levels to solve.
- Teaches basic coding concepts like loops, sequencing, functions, debugging, and more.
- Helps your kids to improve concentration, boost memory, increase problem-solving skills.
- ✓ DRAG & DROP BLOCK CODING for kids, not JUST GAMERS: Create images or videos to learn coding logic by dragging and dropping blocks using MITs Scratch coding curriculum! Gaming is a popular topic among youth and many consider themselves gamers. We use computer games as a fun medium to help students understand computer and video game logic through this scratch coding for kids course.
- ✓ LIVE MENTOR SUPPORT: No need for those scratch coding cards, toys, robot or even that scratch coding book. You've seen the scratch coding cat? Well..with this online course you can chat directly with a real human mentor for help in animation activities and coding games using our Scratch game design tutorials. Unlike other online coding programs for kids that offer you a how-to sheet, we offer live chat assistance.
- ✓ SCHOOL, HOMESCHOOL APPROVED CURRICULUM and STEM EDUCATION CERTIFIED: Simply Coding courses have been approved by school systems throughout the world, both as an elective and as an after school program. Including receiving high school credit for course completion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, but you can also learn without a laptop or mobile or tablet application. One of the best ways to learn without a computer is by using hands-on learning. Coding toys are one of the best ways to promote and encourage your kids on hands-on learning. Hands-on learning is essential for your child, especially if they are pre-schoolers.
Summary of Best Coding Toys for 5 Year Old Kids
You should expect your child to have a solid grasp of the basics of reading, writing, and maths by the time they turn 5. But at that time, most 5-year-olds could also master some fundamental coding skills. Children as young as five years old can begin learning how to code via the use of a variety of educational resources.
One of the best resources to teach your 5 years old on how to learn to code is by using coding toys. Because they are actively listening, speaking, and exploring their surroundings while playing with coding toys, children are better able to multitask due to this approach.
I hope this blog helps you choose the best coding toy you can purchase or use for your 5 year old kid.
More Inspiration for 5 Year Old Kids Learning to Code
Looking to be inspired? Here are some other posts related to teaching five year olds how to code.
- Best Coding Toys for 5 Year Old Kids
- Easy Coding Program for Kids to Learn Python
- Computational Thinking for Kindergarteners