Everyone loves gifts, and in this digital age, the best gifts you can give your adolescent are coding and STEM gifts to enhance their learning in tech. A coding gift for teens is a great way to encourage their interests in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.
STEM education for teens and young adults relates more to the practical aspects. Students who have access to programming tools and other resources to enhance their learning have displayed a higher performance compared to students with limited resources. The question of the perfect gifts for your tweens, however, is a common topic among parents. Unlike younger kids who love all kinds of toys, tweens are more sensitive and great care should be taken when purchasing gifts for them.
While coding gifts for tweens are a way for them to learn all about programming and tech, they can also be used to enhance their coding skills to help them land valuable, high-paying jobs in the future. Giving the right tech toys to your teens can also help them perform independently and discover incredible innovations and become problem solvers.
This article will guide you through all you need to know about choosing the best coding gifts for your teen coder.
Truth be told, programming for tweens and younger kids is broad. Resources and guides are abundant for equipping young minds with science, technical, engineering, and math skills to accelerate their careers and fuel their passion for tech.
Coding gifts are best for teens who have developed a passion for programming and STEM, or who are open to new learning paths and careers. There are numerous gift ideas for your kids in tech, ranging from simple coding toys and coding kits to advanced coding gifts such as python coding gifts, and robot-inspired gifts, among others.
Programming gifts are perfect for teenagers across all levels, whether your tweens are transitioning into tech, or are beginners with no prior experience in coding. With the right tech toys, your kids can develop their careers across several niches, including engineering, software development, hardware design, web development, mobile app development, and robotics, among others. Teenagehood, college, and real work environments are tough, and kids need to be duly prepared for the new life. Coding gifts help tweens garner essential skills including independent thinking, problem-solving, algorithmic thinking, computational thinking, and creativity, among others.
Coding gifts for tweens provide the opportunity for teen coders to explore their abilities and discover the amazing possibilities of what they can achieve through coding. There’s only so much one can achieve through lessons and mandated assignments. Coding gifts, however, teach kids the art of independence, persistent thinking, and independence.
Here are the best coding gift ideas for teens. Kindly note that they are in no particular order and each one is equally incredible.
The popular movie robot, Cozmo, is a perfect educational robot for teens and young kids. It is beginner friendly and does not require any assembling before use. The Anki Cozmo Bot also comes with a free app for users.
Tween coders can get hands-on experience in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and advanced robotics. The intelligent robot is built with a 128x64 resolution facial display that allows it to feel and express emotions. It is also an interactive robot that can engage in conversations and remember previous interactions.
Anki Cozmo Robot is perfect for complete beginners who want to learn coding, as well as for advanced programmers who want to explore further the world of robotics and programming. To access its full capacity, you can place your Cozmo on Beginner mode, Sandbox mode, and Constructor mode. In addition, learners can also use Python SDK to tap into the robot’s numerous capacities.
- Cozmo is a real-life robot like you’ve only seen in the movies and he’s ready to be your loyal sidekick
- Challenge Cozmo to games or use Explorer Mode to see things from his perspective
- With a beginner-friendly interface, Cozmo is the perfect educational robot for kids and adults to learn to creatively code
Sphero robot is designed for high schoolers to learn robotics and coding. Younger kids are not left out either, as Sphero Bolt for Scratch is for kids between the ages of 7 and 9 to learn coding in a fun, colorful way.
- DESIGN AND CREATE: Teach kids to problem solve like an engineer as they design and build colorful, custom mazes for indi to navigate
- SCREENLESS & APP-ENABLED OPTIONS: Kids learn the basics of programming with the included color cards (no screen required) or level up with Sphero’s all-new, simplified drag-and-drop blocks in the free Sphero Edu Jr app, designed just for indi
- SPARK CREATIVITY: Customize indi with stickers and encourage creative expression and exploratory learning by driving indi through endless mazes and pathways
If your teens are interested in 3D printers, robotics, and Arduino, then the Elegoo Robot Car is the perfect coding gift for them. The Elegoo Uno Smart Robot Car kit contains all you need to build a robot and activate it. It combines electronics, programming, and robotics. Although perfect for beginners, a basic knowledge of programming and robots is an advantage.
Assembling this kit is super easy, especially with the modifications and tutorial guide available to learners. It contains up to 24 different kinds of module parts, including line following, FPV mode, obstacle avoidance, and infrared remote control, among others. Other features include an ultrasonic sensor, LED, infrared photoelectric sensor, batteries, etc.
- ELEGOO Smart Robot Car: An educational STEM kit beginners (kids) to get hands-on experience about programming, electronics assembling and robotics knowledge. It is an integration solution for robotics learning and made for education.
- Complete Package: Contains 24 kinds of module parts including obstacle avoidance, line tracing module, infrared remote control and also you can control it via phone and tablets of Android and iOS system, etc.
- Easy to Assemble: All the module interface has been modified with XH2. 54 ports as to make it much easier and convenient to assemble the car and reduce the chances for errors.
Raspberry Pi Kit
We must all agree that Raspberry Pi is important in STEM education. There is just so much one can achieve with the Raspberry Pi and it has never been a more perfect coding gift for your grown babies. Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer that teaches the core of programming, electronics, robotics, and computing.
Some of the numerous projects you can create with Raspberry Pi include weather prediction, laser tripwire, build your computer, Minecraft, and lost in space. The official language of Raspberry Pi is Python, so if you are looking for Python coding gifts, you can begin with Raspberry Pi. This article contains a comprehensive guide on choosing a Raspberry Pi kit for kids.
- Includes Raspberry Pi 4 8GB Model B with 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core CPU (8GB RAM), For 4GB version, please refer to ASIN: B0B3M2HKN6; For 2GB version, please refer to ASIN: B0B7DFF7TY;
- This Raspberry Pi 4B case contains a super quite 40mm PWM fan and 4pcs heatsinks for good heat dissipation of Raspberry Pi 4B.
- 5V 3.6A Type C Power Supply will make your Pi work more stable. With ON/OFF switch, it's convenient for you to power on and power off your Raspberry Pi 4.
The Arduino Starter kit is currently the only official starter kit from Arduino. The kit equips both learners and experts with all they need to know about electronics and programming. You can make up to 15 incredible projects with the kit, including a touchy feel lamp and a mood cue. In addition, the Arduino starter kit comes with a 170-page handbook to help users access its full capacity.
Teen coders can also choose to invent other projects with the Arduino starter kit.
- It’s a quick and easy way to get started with the learning of STEAM subjects at home, and it can be used to think critically, learn collaboratively, and solve problems.
- This kit walks you through the basics of Arduino and electronics in a hands-on way. No prior experience is required, as the kit introduces both coding and electronics through fun, engaging, and hands-on projects.
- The kit comes with a 170-page project guide book and includes over 100 components.
Labeled as the “most powerful pocket-sized computer in the world” by Forbes, micro:bit is an amazing tool to learn computer programming using Python, Scratch, Microsoft MakeCode, Swift, and other programming languages. Micro:bit provides the opportunity for kids to learn all about robotics, electronics, and programming. Learners can also access free tutorials and guides on the micro:bit’s official website.
Through micro:bit, tween coders can harness their full potential and develop computer skills, algorithmic thinking, and computational thinking.
No products found.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is a wide variety of coding gifts you can buy for your teen coder. Programming kits, such as Raspberry Pi and Arduino are perfect examples of coding gifts for your teens. Beyond physical gifts, you can enroll them in programming boot camps and courses, or purchase online coding resources.
Coding toys, python coding gifts, robotics toys, tech toys, programming kits, and coding blocks, among others, are some of the amazing coding gifts for kids who love coding.
Arduino starter kit, Raspberry Pi kit, Sphero Robot, and Anki Cozmo Bot remain some of the top coding kits for teens to learn programming and STEM.
Teenagers, aged 13 and above, already have chosen paths and interests. Although anyone can learn new skills, regardless of their age, there are basic passions one would have developed at a younger age.
Not everyone loves to code, and that’s okay. You can suggest the idea of programming to your kids, and you shouldn’t force it if they show no interest in learning programming. However, if your kids are receptive to the idea of building careers around coding.
We know it is the thought that counts, however, when it comes to educational and career development for your tweens, then you need to be intentional. Carefully select the right coding gifts for your teens and watch their STEM journey transform positively.
Coding, Robotics, and 3D Printer Gift Guide for Kids
This is the best gift guide for kids who love technology and gadgets.
- Best Toys to Teach Kids Coding
- ToyBox 3D Printer
- Computer Keyboards Made Specifically for Kids
- Best Monthly Coding Subscription Boxes for Kids
- Best Fiction Books About Robots for Young Kids
- Gift Guide for Teens Who Love Coding and Programming
- Gift Guide for Middle School Kids Who Love Computer Science
- Tinker Crate - Is it worth it?