It’s never too young to get kids interested in STEM to learn all about artificial intelligence and machine learning through controlling racing cars. Kids that love mathematics, science, and robotics can engage in a way that teaches them about technology while also building skills in robotics.
As we start progressing into using more data with AI and ML, kids that are exposed to the topic can be well positioned to think deeply on how common everyday problems can be solved with AI/ML. AWS DeepRacer is an amazing opportunity for kids to learn the fundamentals in a fun way while teaching them what they should learn.
AWS DeepRacer is perfect for students aged 10 and older. Beyond serving as a means of fun and entertainment for kids, it is also a means for them to learn the fundamentals of machine learning, computational, and algorithmic thinking.
This guide covers the basic overview on AWS DeepRacer for those that are new to the topic. This includes:
- General Overview AWS DeepRacer for students
- How AWS DeepRacer Works
- Guides to Get Started
- Cost of Getting Started with AWS DeepRacer
AWS DeepRacer is a way for kids to get equipped in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML). Machine learning is an aspect of artificial intelligence that develops machines to think and make decisions independently. With machine learning, machines, such as robots, can develop computational thinking and make situational decisions and interact with people, as opposed to the traditional static programming of unintelligent machines.
AWS DeepRacer is also available to skilled developers to hone their experience with reinforcement learning. Reinforcement learning is a progressive machine learning strategy that includes various approaches to training models other than through machine learning. It is proactive, in that it can study advanced and complex behaviors without needing labeled guides and algorithms. AWS DeepRacer also provides the best simulation environment for machine learning enthusiasts to learn the latest reinforcement learning algorithms, test various sensor modules, as well as decrypting the blackbox behind trained models.
The global AWS DeepRacer is divided into three main caetegories:
AWS DeepRacer Student
This program provides unlimited opportunities for students to develop their machine learning and reinforcement learning skills through a hands-on autonomous racing league. There are numerous benefits attached to the DeepRacer student, one of which includes testing your car in a virtual simulation environment.
AWS DeepRacer League
This league involves competing trained models in an annual global DeepRacer League. Student competitors are presented with the opportunity to learn AI, ML, train models, and compete with other students around the globe for amazing prizes, including scholarship opportunities.
AWS offers various professional and certificate examinations, in technical skills and cloud expertise. Students can earn certificates just like professionals in the field that they can add to their resume and body of work.
Using Race Cars to Teach Machine Learning to Kids
Machine learning is an advanced field that requires deep learning and continuous practice to fully understand. Teaching machine learning to kids, however, is not as difficult as it seems, especially with the idea of teaching them using race cars.
With race cars and healthy competitions, kids will learn the art of patience, logical and critical thinking, and cognitive skills. The best way for kids to perfectly grasp the fundamentals of machine learning and AI is through hands-on activities. The more they physically interact and compete with race cars, the better they understand how machine learning in the real world works.
To get involved in the AWS DeepRacer league or learn with AWS DeepRacer Student, you need to sign up for your interested program. AWS DeepRacer student, for instance, offers the opportunity for students to compete for scholarships and pursue careers in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
Developers and students who want to compete in the autonomous racing league can set up a free AWS account and sign up for AWS DeepRacer to learn skills to qualify for the global competition. Students can also decide to partake in the competition without necessarily creating an AWS account. There are options to compete both physically and virtually in the circuit.
General Steps for Setting Up AWS DeepRacer
Once you purchase your AWS DeepRacer, you will need to follow the following steps.
- Set up your AWS DeepRacer.
- Assemble your DeepRacer. Learn how to assemble the parts and add a WiFi connection.
- Calibrate your AWS DeepRacer to ensure it’s in perfect condition.
- Build your own track. In this step, you will build a simple specialized track for your AWS DeepRacer.
- Build your machine learning (reinforcement learning) model.
- Connect and share racing tips with other AWS racers around the globe.
For more detailed steps, review the getting started guide for a step-by-step guide to walk you through the setup process.
The Global AWS DeepRacer is the first of its kind that provides an opportunity for kids to win prizes and opportunities through the DeepRacer league. The autonomous racing league involves people from all over competing in global racing for various rewards and prizes, including advancing to the Championship Cup.
AWS DeepRacer student is the best way for high schoolers and young adults to hone their skills in machine learning and connect with like minds in the global AWS DeepRacer Student community. The DeepRacer Student is specifically designed for teenagers from the age of 16 and above. They have access to several machine learning tools and trained models to equip them with enough skills to compete for prizes, scholarships, and monthly autonomous racing leagues.
Students can access all the learning materials for free! All that’s needed is active learning and continuous participation. Annually, top winners from the monthly virtual competitions will compete in person at the DeepRacer League Championship event. In addition, students can also apply for AWS AI & ML Udacity nanodegree scholarships. It is a great opportunity for those who are underrepresented in the world of tech to grab these opportunities and kickstart their careers.
Startup and Maintenance Cost of AWS DeepRacer
With AWS DeepRacer, you can pay for the DeepRacer Device (one-time fee) and the DeepRacer service (on-going maintenance fee).
AWS DeepRacer Device
An AWS DeepRacer device costs $399, while the advanced AWS Deepacer Evo with a Sensor Kit costs $598.
- AWS DeepRacer is the fastest way for developers to get rolling with machine learning, literally. Get hands-on with a fully autonomous 1/18th scale race car driven by reinforcement learning, 3D racing simulator, and a global racing league.
- Car - AWS DeepRacer is an autonomous 1/18th scale race car designed to test reinforcement learning (RL) models by racing on a physical track.
- Build RL Models: You can build your own RL model for AWS DeepRacer. Building a model requires basic Python programming skills.
- AWS DeepRacer Evo is the next generation in autonomous racing and the fastest way for developers to get rolling with machine learning, literally. Get hands-on with the fully autonomous 1/18th scale race car driven by reinforcement learning.
- AWS DeepRacer Evo is an autonomous 1/18th scale race car that comes with dual stereo cameras that allow the car to detect objects on the track, and LIDAR (light detection and ranging), which allows the car to detect objects behind and lateral to itself so you can avoid objects and beat competitors to the finish line.
- Build reinforcement learning models and train, test, and iterate quickly and easily on the track in the AWS DeepRacer 3D racing simulator.
The sensor kit alone costs around $249.
AWS DeepRacer Services
For the AWS DeepRacer service, the training costs $3.59/hour, while the model storage costs $0.023/GB- month. You can see examples of how AWS DeepRacer pricing works here.
Frequently Asked Questions
AWS DeepRacer provides an incredible opportunity for learners to get started with Artificial Intelligence and machine learning. AWS DeepRacer is also available to skilled developers to hone their experience with reinforcement learning. Reinforcement learning is a progressive machine learning strategy that includes various approaches to training models other than through machine learning.
The combination of these AWS services- AWS RoboMaker, SageMaker, and Amazon S3 are designed to build the AWS DeepRacer. The integration of these AWS services provides the platform for learning reinforcement learning and general machine learning models.
The AWS DeepRacer is an incredible method for kids to enjoy the concepts of AI, RL, and ML. There is also an equal opportunity for kids to acquire machine learning skills and compete in global competitions for prizes, opportunities, and even scholarships. It is amazing for kids, high schoolers, and even adults.
More Inspiration for Robotics for Kids
- Easy Robotics Projects for Kids
- Why Kids Should Learn Robotics
- Robotics for Elementary School Students
- Robotics for Middle School Students
- Robotics for High School Students
- Programmable Robots for Kids
- Arduino Kits and Robots for Kids
- Robotics Toys to Teach Kids Coding
- Top Raspberry Pi Projects for Kids
- Overview of Raspberry Pi for Kids
- Choosing Best Arduino Kits for Students
- Raspberry Pi vs Arduino for Kids - Overview and Comparison Guide
- Getting Started Guide for Arduinos for Kids
- AWS DeepRacer for Kids
- Robotic Platforms for Kids
- Show and Tell Ideas with Robotics for Kids