With Arduino, kids can learn awesome inventions like pressing a button, publishing a piece on the web, lighting a censor, and many others. Arduino is an electronic platform that focuses on hardware and software that is easy for kids to understand.
Arduino is divided into two primary parts: a circuit board and a program that allows users to control the circuit board. Kids can learn various programming languages, such as C++, C, Python, and Java, all with Arduino.
Overview of Arduino Kits for Kids
Arduino kits are beginner-friendly and they’re a great tool for kids to venture into engineering and programming. The kits include materials and tools to build electronic or hardware devices.
There are several Arduino kits for kids, ranging from starter kits to more advanced packs like the Arduino Nano 33 Ble Sense, Arduino Mega Proto Shield, etc.
The kits are important because they help decode the concept of programming and electronics for kids. With Arduino kits for kids, they can engage in several projects. Some of Arduino’s best projects include Arduino fingerprint door lock, Arduino Uno Handheld Game Console, Arduino Robot Car, Arduino Universal Remote Control, among others.
About Arduino Uno
Kids can also learn how to write codes with Arduino's programming language(s). Another important concept that kids should learn is Arduino Uno.
Arduino Uno is a type of Arduino board. It is a microcontroller board that can be programmed to invent a variety of electronic projects. Using an open-source code, Arduino Uno processes the data retrieved from various sensors.
The Arduino Uno is a great tool for kids to get started with Arduino.
All About Using Arduino Kits to Teach Kids Coding
Kids can write and rewrite their own codes using the Arduino programming language. They can also build amazing projects, such as remote controls, automated vehicles, and robots.
The idea behind Arduino Kits is to provide kids with the perfect tools for them to create amazing projects. In the long run, they can build a career in STEM and learn to solve real-world problems.
Here are some of the best Arduino kits to teach coding to kids.
Arduino Starter Kit
The Arduino Starter Kit is currently the official starter kit. kids require no prior experience of Arduino to get started with the starter kit. Kids can be introduced to coding through fun, engaging, challenging, and practical projects.
- It’s a quick and easy way to get started with the learning of STEAM subjects at home, and it can be used to think critically, learn collaboratively, and solve problems.
- This kit walks you through the basics of Arduino and electronics in a hands-on way. No prior experience is required, as the kit introduces both coding and electronics through fun, engaging, and hands-on projects.
- The kit comes with a 170-page project guide book and includes over 100 components.
Arduino starter kit comes with a 170-page handbook that guides users through its language and multiple projects. Kids can create up to 15 amazing projects with the Arduino starter kit. Each of these projects also has its Arduino code which can be accessed on Arduino IDE.
Fun projects with Arduino starter kit include mood cue- clue friends into how you are doing, touchy feel lamp- a lamp that responds to touch, spaceship interface design the control panel for your starship, knock lock- discover the secret code to open the door, and many other amazing projects.
Arduino Uno Ultimate Starter Kit
The Arduino Uno ultimate starter kit is a great Arduino board for kids, especially kids with no existing knowledge of Arduino. With the Uno starter kit, kids can create hundreds of amazing projects.
Arduino starter kit comes with a colored 72-page instructional manual that highlights how the kit can be utilized, as well as introduces Arduino programming. So, kids can get familiar with the software, coding, and programming in general.
Kids can learn coding faster with Arduino ultimate starter kit, as its instructional handbook not only provides the codes for projects, it also breaks it down to aid better understanding.
In addition, the starter kit includes over 190 electronic parts and components. Its other features include Relay, Jumper Wires, LEDs, USB Cable, Bread Board, etc.
Elegoo Mega 2560
The Elegoo Mega 2560 is good for both beginners and kids who are familiar with Arduino kits. The Elegoo Mega 2560 comes with free pdf tutorials compiled on a CD. There are over 36 lessons on how to code and make projects with the Elegoo Mega 2560.
- The Mega is 100% compatible with Arduino IDE and most shields designed for the Arduino mega R3，RoHS Compliant
- The chip is Atmega+2560-16au and 16u2, same with the official version.
- Improved and expert version: 1. 0 pinout: added SDA and SCL pins that are near to the AREF pin and two other new pins placed near to the RESET pin, the IOREF that allow the shields to adapt to the voltage provided from the board. In future, shields will be compatible both with the board that use the AVR, which operate with 5V and with the Due that operate with 3. 3V. The second one is a not connected pin, that is reserved for future purposes.
The kit can be easily maintained, as it comes with a small protection box to keep all widgets safe and secure. Elegoo Mega 2560 is of premium quality with LCD 1602 module and gy-521 sensor module. The sensor module also comes with a pin header, so you don’t have to fasten it manually.
Also, the kit is absolutely compatible with Arduino IDE, and kids can use existing Arduino codes for projects. Elegoo Mega 2560 is great for parents to learn Arduino with their kids.
Makeblock mBot Ultimate Robot Kit
Kids are fascinated with the idea of robots, so having a robot kit that they can build and control is absolute bliss! The Makeblock mBot Robot kit for kids can be programmed in two ways: using the Arduino compatible controller or controlled wirelessly using a mobile device’s Bluetooth.
This Arduino Robot kit is perfect for kids who are new to programming, or who wish to increase their knowledge span. The kit comes with screwdrivers that kids can utilize to assemble or disassemble the robots.
With guidance from parents, kids should be able to assemble the robots in less than 30 minutes. The robot can also be built in 10 different forms. Kids can also learn about Arduino and Python programming. They can be introduced to robotics, electronics, and graphics.
- 【Entry-level Coding Robot Toy】 Designed for learning electronics, robotics and computer programming in a simple and fun way, mBot robot kit is an excellent educational robot toys. From scratch to Arduino, this STEM projects for kids ages 8-12 helps kids to learn programming step by step via interactive software and learning resources.
- 【Easy to Build 】With clearly building instructions, this building kit can be easily built within 15 minutes with just a screw. Kids will learn more about electronics, machinery, and robotics components through building mBot. You can also play this STEM projects for kids ages 8-12 as a remote control car with its multi-functions: line-follow, obstacle-avoidance and so on.
- 【Rich Tutorials for Programming】 We offer multiple coding lessons in the package from L1-L3, with these coding cards, children can easily use all fonctions of mBot and creat projects by themselves. Matched with 3 free Makeblock apps, and mBlock software, kids can enjoy remote control, play programming games, and program with mBot robot kit. Note that the remote control needs a CR2025 battery(NOT INCLUDED), and the robot kit needs 4 AA batteries (NOT INCLUDED)
Makeblock Arduino Starter Kit
This kit is an easy way for kids to get started with science, programming, and software. Prior experience in coding and Arduino is not required, as this kit provides hands-on experience in coding and electronics.
A 170-page guidebook is attached to the Makeblock Arduino Starter kit, and users can utilize it to create engaging, fun, and hands-on projects. Kids can also think outside the box and invent projects by themselves. There are tons of free inspirational videos and online materials for other projects you can make with the kit.
Some of the projects kids can make with the kit include a three-wheeled robot car and a robot tank.
What is the Difference Between Arduino VS Raspberry Pi?
The key differences between Arduino and Raspberry Pi include the following:
- Raspberry Pi is a single board computer (SBC), and Raspberry Pi boards are microprocessors. Arduino boards, on the other hand, are microcontrollers.
- Raspberry Pi supports the internet, while Arduino does not. Also, Arduino operates on an open-source system, while Raspberry Pi is a closed source.
- Arduino has a simple hardware structure and is great for kids, while Raspberry Pi has a more complex hardware structure. In addition, Arduino boards are more affordable compared to Raspberry Pi boards.
Things to Know About Arduinos
An Arduino kit is made up of various components for creating devices and gadgets, such as robots, remote controls, home appliances, etc.
With an Arduino kit, kids can learn various programming languages, including engineering, science, and robotics.
Arduino has its own programming language, called the Arduino programming language. Arduino programming language is similar to C++.
However, Arduino kits can also function well with C, C++, and Python programming languages.
Arduino kits are designed with kids in mind, and they are perfectly suitable for kids. Kids aged 7 and above can use Arduino kits.
The kits vary in scope and complexity, so parents need to find the easiest Arduino kits suitable for their kids.
There are several ways in which kids can learn Arduino. Parents can teach their kids Arduino, or learn with them.
Alternatively, kids can study the manuals that come with their kits., and practice regularly. They can also watch online tutorials and guidelines on how to use Arduino kits.
The best way for kids to learn Arduino is to practice regularly. Practice, as we know, makes perfection! Help your kids have fun and learn Arduino faster by encouraging and learning along with them.
Final Thoughts About Arduino for Kids
As parents, you can invest in your kids' growth and career with Arduino kits. Arduino cuts across both hardware and software, as well as all areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Kids can learn how to create and control robots with Arduino Robotics kits.
Kids can also be introduced to the basic concepts of coding with Arduino. Beyond the conventional programming languages for kids, they can also learn about the Arduino programming language and how it works.
There are tons of projects kids can engage in with Arduino kits, and it serves as a great avenue to keep kids busy and entertained.
More Coding Inspiration for Kids
- Code Ninjas - Is the coding program for kids worth it?
- Python for Kids - Parents Guide
- How to Explain Coding to Kids
- Overview About Arduinos for Kids
- Best Kids Computer Keyboards for Typing
- Teach Kids How to Code with Swift iOS App Programming Language
- Roblox Coding - Teach Kids how to Program
- Programmable Robots for Kids (to learn coding)
- Learn Coding without a Computer
- Offline Computer Coding and Programming Unplugged
- Best Coding Books for Kids by Age
- LEGO Programming for Kids with Mindstorm