It's never too early to start teaching your children coding skills! We live in a world where we rely on computers and technology more than ever, and the number of jobs that require computer programming is growing. Kids these days are learning how to code at an earlier age than their parents did because they have access to revolutionary robot toys that are fun to play with and teach kids the basics up of coding up to its most advanced skills.
Some of the best robot toys for kids to learn how to code include:
Each of these toys has its own unique design and perfectly blends the teachings of coding with common youth interests, such as racing, pets, pop culture, and more.
In this article, we’ll describe the features and benefits of each these fantastic coding toys for kids along with their current prices and what age range they are best suited for.
One of the first coding robots you’ll see on any list of “The Best Coding Robot Toys of Kids” is none other than this little sphere. But don’t be fooled by its overtly simple design and appearance; Sphero Bolt is arguably the most highly recommended and renowned coding toy in existence.
Sphero Bolt is a translucent palm-sized ball filled with LED lights and sensors that kids above the age of eight can control using an iOS or Android app and their coding skills. With the right input from them, this durable ball can flip, roll, spin, and light up nearly any array of colors of the coder’s choice.
There are endless possibilities as Sphero helps young coders learnt through educational games that are engineering and math-based activities, in addition to using the colorful ball for every day creative play purposes.
If you enjoyed the Sphero Bolt and want a similar and/or cheaper option, try out Sphero’s two other products, the Sphero SPRK+ and the budget-friendly Sphero Mini.
- LITTLE ROBOT, LOTTA FUN: Sphero Mini packs a ton of fun into a tiny programmable robot the size of a ping pong ball. Equipped with a gyroscope, accelerometer, and colorful LED lights, this educational robot is more than a mini robot toy. Sphero Mini is the perfect entry into robotics for beginners!
- DRIVE MODE: Beginner learners can drive and play STEM-inspired games with the free Sphero Play App. Drag and drive with Joystick mode, pull back and release with Slingshot mode or tip and rotate your mobile device with Tilt mode. Included with Sphero Mini are 3 traffic cones and 6 bowling pins to inspire obstacle course fun right out of the box.
WowWee COJI the Coding Robot Toy
Those of you looking to purchase a coding robot toy for younger kids around the age of four should seriously consider WowWee’s Coji the Coding Robot Toy.
COJI is a humanoid robot with a display screen face that is specifically designed to making the concepts of coding easy for younger kinds through the use of emojis! Using a smart device, kids can play improving games, develop STEM and problem-solving skills, and enjoy the various mobility and speech features COJI has to offer.
Kids have the choice of either playing solely with their smart device, playing with the COJI robot, or both to learn. Once they get the hang of the robot’s various commands, they can create and save their own custom programs for future use. These programs allow COJI to move, speak, and create fun sounds and facial expressions.
- Program using emoji language
- Play games that test your memory and problem-solving skills
- Develops STEM skills. Free app provides control and/or enhanced gameplay on your smart device
Another popular coding toy for kids you’ll see on a number of list recommendations is this colorful alien, Dash Robot Wonder Pack.
Wonder Workshop Dash is an adorable interactive coding marvel that will teach kids from the age of six to eleven how master the basics of coding straight away. With the help of a smart device, kids can program dash to whiz around the room, spin/dance, speak, light-up, or play interactive games.
With their help, this robot can also be intuitive enough to move around objects it encounters or respond to sounds. Another fun feature kids enjoy is their ability to record their voice on Dash and play this message whenever they use the coded command.
Easy but thorough tutorials are provided on all of the iOS and Android apps for Dash, so they truly understand how this language works before they start exploring it alone. Hundreds of coding puzzles can be found in the Blockly App along with the 60 story-based Math activities found in Class Connect that are constantly updated and swapped out for new content so there’s always something new for Dash users to learn and opportunities to test what they know.
- ULTIMATE ROBOT VALUE PACK: Our Wonder Pack comes with the Dot and Dash robots, building brick connectors, charging cords, a tow hook, a bulldozer bar, a launcher and balls, target stickers, a bunny ears and tail set, and a xylophone.
- LEARN THE BASICS OF CODING: Dot and Dash are ready to go straight out of the box and use fun challenges to teach your child the block-based coding skills they will need for middle and high school while developing critical thinking skills.
- AWARD-WINNING ROBOTS: Wonder Workshop robots are used in over 20, 000 classrooms worldwide and are seen by educators as leaders in the coding robot space. The accessories in the Wonder Pack keep kids engaged and learning over time.
Coding Pet Milky
Many of us remember the battery-operated robotic pets we grew up with, like the Pio-Chi Robot Dog, but nowadays, kids can have the thrill of a robotic companion paired with a coding and STEM education through ToyTron’s Milky, the coding pet.
Milky is a blue and white, palm-sized mouse robot toy equipped with 26 coding cards, 6 coding boards, and 6 markers that allows kids ages eight and older to develop computational thinking skills, coding abilities, and express their creativity.
With the help of Milky’s free app, kids can teach their coding pet how to dance, compose music and dance routines, or express different emotions. The provided markers also allow them to create specified routes for Milky to follow for fun without a smart device application.
Of all the options on the list, Milky is one of the best to get your kids started with coding if you’re uncertain of their interest level.
No products found.
The last coding robot toy we’d like to discuss is a popular budget-friendly coding teacher for kids ages seven and older.
Artie 3000 is one of the many coding robot toys that require a smart device to teach coding and STEM education at its full capacity, but it is one of the few coding toys that truly progresses with your child as its coding abilities advance.
With its built-in WiFi, kids can take their Artie 3000 and its accompanying markers anywhere. The markers and app allow them to get Artie to draw the most amazing creations they can conjure up using their coding skills. First, it will show them how to create basic shapes, like a square, and then teach them how to alter the code for more advanced images.
If your kid loves the Artie 3000 but wants a toy with a little more color and personality, consider getting them Artie’s fellow coding robot, Artie Max!
- SPARK MORE CURIOSITY: Artie 3000 the coding robot is the fun and artistic way to introduce curious kids to the power of programming
- ART MEETS CODING IN ARTIE 3000: Kids create the code and Artie 3000 draws the lines on paper; With pre-programmed designs, beginners can start coding right away, learning to code everything from tic tac toe boards to artistic masterpieces
- SIMPLE SET UP: With Artie 3000’s built-in WiFi server, no internet connection is required; Kids plug their own tablet or computer (not included) in Artie 3000 and follow step-by-step instructions to start programming in minutes!
Other Robotic Toys
If you love these robotic toys, check out these other products that will keep your kids entertained.
Coding is something many people assume is too advanced for children to grasp, but you’d be surprised how easily they can learn this skill with the help of simple toys that take them step-by-step through the process and nurture their passion and interest for coding language. Anyone could learn how to code, even at the young age of four, and the coding robot toys listed here, amongst the many other options on the market, can teach them how and put them on the path to a bright coding future.
- Mech-5 is a one-of-a-kind Mechanical Coding Robot.
- This mission-based, entry level robot is designed to inspire young engineers to learn about mechanical engineering principles and coding basics.
- This stem robot can throw, lift, kick, draw, and more, All by snapping the Coding buttons onto the Coding wheel.
- Coding Toys for Kids: Code right out of the box with the next generation of our Toy of the Year winning coding robot!
- Discover Coding for Kids: 16 fun interactions—transform Botley 2.0 into a train, police car, ghost, and more!
- Expanded Coding Styles: Features expanded coding styles—code through music, lights, and movements!
- Build & Code Through Play: Build and code your own Buddlets-Bot Robot Toy Car to move and interact with the help of mobile app.
- Engineering Smart Kit for Beginners: Basic and Difficult level coding. Basic play can be done by operating voice command mode and difficult level goes by coding (planning and entering values) to make your Buddlets-Bot Robot Kit move in your assigned directions.
- Three Different Play Modes: Voice mode, Coding mode and Control mode. Make your Buddlets-Bot Robotic Car manoeuvre in different directions. Ideal to learn the science of robotics and design the future.
- Early STEM learning: an introduction to the fundamentals of coding and robotics for grades K-2.
- Unplugged: no software, apps, or smart devices required!
- Clear explanations: the 64-page, full-color experiment manual guides kids through the coding lessons and model building exercises.
- [Creative and Educational STEM Toys] Makerzoid Official, the legal BRAND OWNER of Makerzoid, has spent years in robot intelligence and huge achievement has been accomplished. The ROBOT MASTER robotic kit was developed by a team of robot specialists to provide children with abundant STEM knowledge - in a fascinating and enjoyable way. Children learn to build, code, and create while having fun. More importantly, it's also compatible with most blocks besides Makerzoid.
- [370+ blocks and 100+ Robot Models in 1] With this Robot Master building blocks set Standard compact version, you can build more than 100 robots from simple to complex, which contains a lot of robot knowledge such as machinery, gears, structure, transmission, etc.Both Children and parents will enjoy the fun of building a robot and making a programming for it. At the same time, it helps develop children's mind, DIY and logical thinking ability.
- [Home Tutor&Teaching Tool for Coding Learning]This ROBOT MASTER robot kit is equipped with 23 robotics courses for kids to learn how to build, control and code at home while playing with this toy set. It's a little bit simpler than the Premium version which is perfect to be a starter for kids' coding and self-learning skills.
- INCLUDE 635 OKK PIECES——Our stem toys includes 635 pieces of building blocks. Comes with a picture guide instruction to help children build the robot toy step-by-step.The building toys is made of safe and harmless ABS plastic.Flexible left, right, front, back, and 360-degree rotating stunt. Remote control distance up to 65Ft.
- BEST EDUCATIONAL STEM TOYS——This educational toys for kids 5-7 is not only a robot, but also an learning and education toys kit, perfect for children to practice their hands-on skills and creativity. Bring kids into the creative world of coding through 635 pieces that kids can build stem projects and nurture their curiosity. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- REMOTE AND APP CONTROL——Robot building kit can controlled by the phone APP bluetooth connection. With remote control mode, path mode, voice control, gravity sensor and stem programming,four remote control modes. This stem projects for kids joints are free to move, the head, shoulders, arms, elbows, tracks and eyebrows can be rotated, various expressive expressions can be arbitrarily placed.
More Inspiration for Kids Coding Toys by Age
If you are wanting to discover more toys and learning platforms to educate kids on coding and programming to inspire them, check out these posts dedicated by age.
- Coding Toys for Preschool Age Kids
- Coding Toys for 4 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 5 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 6 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 7 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 8 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 9 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 10 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 11 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 12 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 13 Year Olds
- Coding Toys for 14 Year Olds