The world is evolving rapidly, science, engineering, and math have begun to take over. Kids, more than ever, are now being equipped with tech skills, of which programming is key, to prepare them for the new technological world that we live in that are run by mini bots that do small automation tasks for us.
One of the best ways to teach kids how to code is through programmable robots. For kids, and adults even, the idea of learning how to program a robot is thrilling! Robotics is the perfect start for kids who have no knowledge of programming.
This article discusses all about programmable robots for kids; their benefits, cons, as well as the best programmable robots for kids.
Overview of Programmable Robots for Kids
Programmable robots for kids remain one of the easiest and most fun ways to teach coding to kids. Kids will learn all about robotics, computation, and programming languages. They will also be equipped with other lifelong skills, including computational skills, critical thinking, teamwork, creativity, and problem-solving, among others.
Programmable robots are just like advanced toys for kids. The only difference is that the robots are built with a conscious objective of teaching STEM and robotics to kids. Just as children's toys differ according to age, so do the robots.
Kids as young as 5 years old can learn how to program a robot. The robotic kits vary in terms of difficulty and level. Teachers can teach kids programmable robots using just the right kits for their age and level of experience. There’s no limit to what kids can create with the robot, as long as they are truly interested and dedicated to it.
All About Robots for Kids to Learn Coding
Programmable robots are effective in teaching coding to kids. They are called ‘programmable’ because the kit focuses on both hardware and software. To program a robot, kids need to enter some sets of instructions for kids to follow.
All programming languages are compatible with the programmable robots, so kids can learn any language they want. The Raspberry Pi , for instance, was built in Python, and it can also be used with other languages, including C, Scratch, and C++.
Parents whose primary goal is to teach kids how to code can opt for robots that teach how to build and control a robot. Coding and robotics work hand-in-hand, and while there are robotic kits that do not need any installation, parents who want their kids to learn both coding and robotics can teach kids programmable robots.
Why Robots Make Learning Programming Fun For Kids
Ever wondered why kids are fascinated with building and controlling robots? Or, why kids would rather learn coding through programmable robots? The simple answer is that robots make coding fun for kids!
Kids can learn programming for robots through various robotic kits. Here are some of the reasons why robots make learning programming fun for kids.
Progress is visible
Usually, when kids learn how to code games, apps, websites, etc., they have to complete the learning before they can see actual visible results. The combination of their learning activities will make up the whole of the project itself. This means that in most cases, they have to complete their lessons to build tangible projects.
However, this is not the case with programming robots. Kids can learn how to move a robot’s hand both in theory and practice. Seeing visible progress encourages kids to learn more.
It encourages curiosity and creativity
With robotics, kids will always yearn for more! Robotics creates the perfect avenue to feed a kid’s curiosity. The mechanisms of how a robot can move, perform tasks, speak, dance, etc., are enough to pique a child’s curiosity.
Kids will have a great avenue to build and explore their creativity. Robotic kits form the basics of what kids can build with robotics.
Robots give kids the feeling of importance
Robots are taking over the world. Studies reveal that robots are gradually replacing human labor. Learning how to program a robot can make kids feel important- a part of something bigger. It can also help them build a career in robotics and engineering.
This challenges them to pay attention, and learn religiously.
Benefits of Robots that Teach Coding
Programmable robots for kids pose a lot of benefits compared to non-programmable robotic kits.
- It develops computational thinking skills in kids.
- Programmable robots prepare kids for a future in robotics.
- It makes coding fun and easier to learn.
- It will strengthen their creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Programmable robots for kids prepare them for the future, which is robotics and STEM.
Best Programmable Robots for Kids
Here are the top 5 programmable robots for kids.
Ubtech Jimu Robot - App-Enabled Robot Kit
The Jimu Robot by UBTECH comprises 387 snap-together parts, two programmable LED lights, a power extension, a color sensor, up to four servo motors, and the main control box. Each part of the kit is well labeled.
The Jimu Robot app is connected to the kit through Bluetooth. Kids can perform various actions with the robot, such as making
it pick up an object, move, avoid obstacles, and much more. In addition, kids can build a grabber or digging robot. The kit also allows kids to create a custom robot that performs any instruction.
This programmable robot uses Blockly coding. Blockly coding involves a drag-and-drop method, which makes it one of the easiest programmable robots for kids. Jimu robot is suitable for kids aged 8 years and above.
- Introducing Buildable, Codable Robots From Ubtech Robotics. Construct Astrobot, Astron, Rover Or Design Your Own Jimu Robot Creation
- Learn To Use Blockly Coding To Program Your Robot To Navigate Obstacles, Pick-Up Objects, Control Light And Sound Effects, Add Personality And More
- Test Your Skills With New Blockly Coding Challenges
The Wonder Workshop Dash
Although expensive, the Dash robot is the best robot for kids between the ages of 5 and 8. The wonder dash robot can be used with 5 free programming apps. The robot is made up of Bluetooth, a programmable LED, various sensors, speakers and microphones, dual motors, and many more.
The robot supports Swift, C++, Scratch, etc. It also uses block-based programming. The dash robot is already built with a voice command that can be used to control it. Kids can also learn how to solve puzzles, initiate actions, play music, and so much more!
- A thoughtful design and approachable personality make Dash the perfect companion for both boys and girls, ages 6-11, right out of the box - no assembly (or experience!) necessary
- Box Includes: 1 Dash robot, 2 building brick connectors, 1 USB charging cable. This Dash unit contains more working memory than before and an 18% longer battery life. Dash does not contain a camera
- Use Dash with one of Wonder Workshop’s free apps available for Apple iOS, Android OS, and Fire OS: Blockly Dash & Dot Robots, Wonder for Dash & Dot Robots, and Path for Dash Robot
LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox
This programmable robot for kids is perfect for kids aged 11 and above. It contains up to 847 pieces kids can use to create five robots. The five different robots kids can build with Lego creative toolbox includes an automated assembly line robot, Frankie the Cat, Vinnie the Robot, a rover car, and a semi-functioning guitar.
The creative robotic toolbox is highly compatible with specific NINJAGO and Lego City kits. Kids can also connect the kit to the Boost app which can be used on almost all devices, including Android, Smartphones, Windows, iOS, Tablets, and Kinde.
Kids can build almost anything with the Lego Creative Toolbox. The app also focuses on teaching kids the basics of coding, before moving to more advanced concepts. One con of the kit is that the Boost app does not recognize Kindle kids’ profiles.
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
Makeblock Arduino Starter Kit
This kit is an easy way for kids to get started with science, programming, and software. Prior experience in coding and Arduino is not required, as this kit provides hands-on experience in coding and electronics.
A 170-page guidebook is attached to the Makeblock Arduino Starter kit, and users can utilize it to create engaging, fun, and hands-on projects. Kids can also think outside the box and invent projects by themselves. There are tons of free inspirational videos and online materials for other projects you can make with the kit.
Some of the projects kids can make with the kit include a three-wheeled robot car and a robot tank.
- 【Entry-level Coding Robot Toy】 Designed for learning electronics, robotics and computer programming in a simple and fun way, mBot robot kit is an excellent educational robot toys. From scratch to Arduino, this STEM projects for kids ages 8-12 helps kids to learn programming step by step via interactive software and learning resources.
- 【Easy to Build 】With clearly building instructions, this building kit can be easily built within 15 minutes with just a screw. Kids will learn more about electronics, machinery, and robotics components through building mBot. You can also play this STEM projects for kids ages 8-12 as a remote control car with its multi-functions: line-follow, obstacle-avoidance and so on.
- 【Rich Tutorials for Programming】 We offer multiple coding lessons in the package from L1-L3, with these coding cards, children can easily use all fonctions of mBot and creat projects by themselves. Matched with 3 free Makeblock apps, and mBlock software, kids can enjoy remote control, play programming games, and program with mBot robot kit. Note that the remote control needs a CR2025 battery(NOT INCLUDED), and the robot kit needs 4 AA batteries (NOT INCLUDED)
Complete Stem Kit By Tinkering Labs
Kids can learn all about STEM with the Tinkering labs kit . Kids can build advanced robotics with it, such as cars, animals, planes, etc. the kit is made up of electric motors, 50 working parts, and 6 LED lights.
Since it is a modular kit, kids can always buy more tools to create bigger projects.
- UNLEASH CREATIVITY WITH THE ORIGINAL TINKERING KIT – Designed by the educators who founded San Francisco’s Brightworks School and whose TED talks inspire millions. Nurtures kids' innate creativity and curiosity, using hands-on projects to explore STEM concepts and cultivate problem-solving skills.
- 10 ENGAGING PROJECTS IN 1 BOX – Over 50 premium components, including electric motors, wood parts, and real hardware, provide 10 Challenges that spark young inventors' imaginations. With everyday and mysterious pieces, the kit triggers creativity, boosts IQ, and instills a deeper understanding of STEM concepts.
- FOR KIDS AGED 8-12 – Our DIY kits are geared for kids age 8 and up, and parents and grandparents also enjoy building fun machines. Each of the 10 challenges usually takes about 30-60 minutes to complete. No screens, no devices, just the pure joy of hands-on invention.
Frequently Asked Questions
A programmable robot for kids introduces kids to the concept of coding and robotics. It is fun to use, and kids can engage in hands-on projects to build and program their robots.
Amazon is a great marketplace to shop for kids programming bots. Some robotic kits, such as Raspberry Pi and LEGO have official websites for you to process on your own.
Final Thoughts for Best Programmable Robot for Kids
Programmable for kids is important if you want your kids to learn coding and robotics. The essence of teaching kids programmable robots is to prepare them for a possible future in robotics.
You can never go wrong with the right programmable robot for your kids to learn to code!
More Coding Inspiration for Kids
- Code Ninjas - Is the coding program for kids worth it?
- Python for Kids - Parents Guide
- How to Explain Coding to Kids
- Overview About Arduinos for Kids
- Best Kids Computer Keyboards for Typing
- Teach Kids How to Code with Swift iOS App Programming Language
- Roblox Coding - Teach Kids how to Program
- Programmable Robots for Kids (to learn coding)
- Learn Coding without a Computer
- Offline Computer Coding and Programming Unplugged
- Best Coding Books for Kids by Age
- LEGO Programming for Kids with Mindstorm