The best way to capture a kid’s heart is by telling them about the incredible parts of topics that are new to them. Imagine explaining the concept of computers to little kids and you begin with “hey kiddos, do you know that computers used to be larger than a small house?” With that, you can be assured that you have their full attention and you can proceed to wow them with more incredible facts about computers.
Computer science and engineering fields are becoming more and more relevant in our society today. Hence, digital literacy, computer skills, and computer literacy are essential skills everyone, especially kids, must possess. Introducing kids to the world of computer engineering and STEM education can be quite difficult, but with the right resources and methods, you are well on your way to making them into computer heroes.
Computer engineering in layman's terms refers to the ability of a person to build, operate, and control computer inventions. Computer inventions in this context are not limited to computers alone, but other digital products that ease human labor and encourage healthy communication and lifestyle.
Computer scientists are presented with the opportunity to pursue several career choices, including computer engineering, database development, software developer, full stack engineering, web developer, game development, multimedia programming, and forensic analysis, among others. Beyond these professional careers, computer programming and engineering for kids also equip them with important skills, some of which include problem-solving, critical thinking, algorithmic thinking, creativity, etc.
Computer engineering for kids is all about learning how computers work. For kids who are just getting started in computer science and coding, they should begin with simple programming languages like Scratch and python. In other words, computer science exposes kids to other knowledge, including robotics, programming, and data science, among others.
Computer Engineering in Simple Terms
Computer engineering for kids is all about learning how computers work. Computer scientists can build, operate, and program a computer. For kids who are just getting started in computer science and coding, they should begin with simple programming languages like Scratch and python. Computer science exposes kids to other knowledge, including robotics, programming, and data science, among others.
Computer engineering can be divided into two primary parts- software and hardware. Computer hardware engineering experts can mostly be found in high-tech firms and research laboratories. They are in charge of building, developing, designing, and maintaining the hardware components of a computer.
On the other hand, computer software engineering primarily deals with the construction, design, and maintenance of computer software programs. Every computer software engineer has coding abilities, as coding forms a major part of their work. Computer engineers have one thing in common- they think in algorithms, that is, there are specific steps they instruct the computer to make to solve a particular problem.
When explaining computer engineering to kids, you should make them understand that it is just like every other profession, like nursing, teaching, pharmacy, etc. It is a full-blown degree in universities. However, a degree in computer science/engineering is not a major requirement for becoming a computer scientist. There are several programs and micro degrees you can enroll in, but if you desire to become a full-fledged computer engineer, then we advise that you officially study computer science at the university.
Sharing Education Journey for Computer Engineering to Kids
Just as aforementioned, official schooling is important to become a full-fledged computer engineer. At the university level, students can decide to earn their degrees in computer engineering or computer science. However, there are awesome computer science courses targeted at kids and tweens.
We are in a digital world and a knowledge of computer science is tantamount to a successful career, regardless of your chosen field. Getting kids started in computer engineering at an early age gives them many huge opportunities in life. Kids who are knowledgeable in the fields of computer science and coding have proven to develop a higher level of problem-solving skills, algorithmic thinking, critical thinking, creative reasoning, and teamwork.
Several programs and resources have been dedicated to equipping kids with essential computer science and engineering skills. These courses are fun, engaging, and super easy for kids to learn. Below are some of the best resources and courses for teaching kids computer science and coding.
Over the years, coding toys for kids have proven to be effective in teaching kids the fundamentals of STEM. These tech toys, in addition to teaching kids computer science and programming, also equip them with other skills, as aforementioned. The Lego Mindstorms is a perfect coding toy that incorporates both hardware and software aspects in their lessons. With Lego Mindstorms, kids will learn the basics of coding a robot. They will learn how to build different kinds of robots, as well as how to program them.
Other amazing coding toys for kids to learn computer science and coding include the Taco coding kit, Osmo coding, ClicBot coding robot, and more.
- DEVELOPS: Critical Thinking, Coding Skills and Problem Solving
- CODING FUNDAMENTALS: As kids learn to program they build key skills that include critical thinking, problem solving, sequencing, and programming fundamentals
- Mech-5 is a one-of-a-kind Mechanical Coding Robot.
- This mission-based, entry level robot is designed to inspire young engineers to learn about mechanical engineering principles and coding basics.
- Coding Toys for Kids: Code right out of the box with the next generation of our Toy of the Year winning coding robot!
- Discover Coding for Kids: 16 fun interactions—transform Botley 2.0 into a train, police car, ghost, and more!
- CodaKid’s Roblox Lua coding educational software provides 100+ hours of interactive student projects designed to engage and educate kids, teaching them to become creators in their own right.
- Students learn real Lua coding and video game design using the Roblox Studio game creation engine. 8- to 10-minute bite size lessons fit into your child's busy schedule.
- DISCOVER the magic of preschool coding with Skye the Unicorn and her screen-free coding spellbook!
- CAST 12 preschool coding spells that make Skye light up, dance, chase her ball, and more!
Online computer science tutorials and micro degrees for kids are also incredible ways to get kids started in computer science. Many of these courses are self-paced, interactive, and fun for kids to learn to code.
Teaching Kids Computer Engineering
Absolutely. Younger kids from kindergarten can begin learning the basics of computer science and engineering, through games, hands-on tasks, and other methods as mentioned above. Computer engineering is great for kids especially to learn, because the earlier they begin, the faster they understand.
Many schools and educational institutions for kids incorporate computer engineering courses into their curriculum, to ensure that their kids are duly equipped with the skills they need to navigate this digital age and time.
Below are some of the amazing importance of computer engineering for kids.
- It builds teamwork abilities in kids
- It enhances their creativity
- Computer engineering skills are continuously in high demand, and most computer engineering jobs are above the average income of non-computer science experts.
- The opportunities for computer engineering experts are limitless, and the future is guaranteed.
- The field of computer science is useful and offers a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment in the job.
- Computer science can help kids and other learners to become innovative thinkers.
- Computer engineering skill is important for everyone, whether or not you are an expert, as we constantly and continuously relate to computers.
- It equips learners with other important skills, including problem-solving, cognitive, critical reasoning, and algorithmic skills.
Sharing with Kids Careers in Computer Engineering
The field of computer engineering is vast, and computer experts are presented with multiple career choices. The good thing about it is that you can choose to major in more than one role, depending on your skills and interests. Below are the major career paths you can pursue as a computer engineer.
- Computer engineer
- Machine learning expert
- Data scientist
- UI/UX designer
- Patent lawyer
- Software Developer
- Hardware engineer
- frontend/backend engineer
- Technical writer
- Robotics specialist
- Video game developer
- Operation manager
- Business systems analyst
- Smartphones designer
Field of Study for Computer Engineering
The field of computer science or computer engineering is required for you to become a full-blown computer engineer/ expert. Meanwhile, you can also take micro degrees that major in one of the roles listed above, whilst still pursuing other careers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Computer engineering for kids refers to the ability to relate with and control the cool actions of a computer. It goes beyond the basic skill of using a computer because computer engineering involves the ability to program a computer and build amazing things like a computer robot, a phone, computer games, and so much more!
It is pertinent for kids to get acquainted with computer engineering because computer engineering skills are needed in almost every career today. Also, computer engineering will equip kids with skills that are useful across every aspect of their lives. These skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, teamwork, and creativity, among others.
Computer engineering and computer science are mutually inclusive of each other and can be used to refer to the same concepts. However, a major difference between both terms is that computer science focuses more on computer theory and software, while computer engineering primarily deals with hardware design and maintenance.
Getting kids interested in computer science and engineering is not the problem; the problem is getting them to stay interested in it. As a parent, you need to constantly introduce your little kids to dynamic methods of learning to ensure that they stay inquisitive and ready to learn.
Related Reading About Teaching Kids Coding
- Easiest Coding Language to Teach Kids
- Best Platforms to Teach Kids Coding
- 11 Reasons to Teach Kids How to Code
- Explain Coding to Kids
- Develop Kids Interest in Coding
- Mobile App for Kids to Learn Coding and Programming
- Tips for Parents to Teach Kids How to Code
- Teach Kids How to Learn Coding without a Computer
- STEM Coding Ideas for Kid's Science Projects
- Teach Kids How to Program and Code an Alexa Skill
- Raspberry Pi for Kids - Overview Guide
- Top 10 Project Ideas with Rapsberry Pi for Kids
- Learn Coding with Edison Robots
- Why to Not Teach Kids Coding (Disadvantages)
- How to Teach App Development to Kids
- Best Beginner Projects for Kids Learning to Code
- Coding Information and Resources to Teach Kids Computer Science
- Coding Projects with LEGO
- Computer Science, Coding, and Programming Micro Degrees
- Virtual Camps for Kids Online - Bootcamp and Progressive Learning
- Explaining Computer Engineering for Kids
- Tips for Parents to Teach Coding
- Challenges to Teaching Coding to Kids
- Computer Algorithms Explained to Kids